Saturday, February 9, 2013

Day One, Post One…


I've been doing this "design" thing a while now, and I've learned a few things along the way. Sometimes I copied what I saw or was told to do, sometimes I learned the hard way. The most rewarding lessons came when I extrapolated an observation or idea into a new format and experimented with it - often in collaboration with a like-minded co-worker.

In that spirit, I'll be sharing some design-related thoughts via this blog - writing them down to visually "hear it out loud" and refine them along the way. Some of what I post should be obvious in hindsight – but hopefully stated in a novel way which makes it worth repeating.

A few themes will be recurring:
  • Brand as Melody: exploration of Visual Brand Language (VBL) principles and processes using musical composition as an analogue.  I am personally fascinated by how closely these pursuits parallel each other, and feel that some elements of VBL can be more easily understood by non-designers when correlated to another medium, such as music.
  • Harnessing the Spark: fostering and managing creativity within groups.  This can range from tools for the day-to-day activities of a creative group to the more concentrated actions in a brainstorming session.  In either, I am particularly interested in maintaining a keen eye on pragmatic and actionable results.
  • Design Voyeur: observations of interesting design elements or approaches which may inspire you to be better or simply chuckle.
I hope someone out there finds my posts intriguing, professionally helpful, or simply amusing.  But... if you're looking for amusing pictures of cats you'll need to go elsewhere (I can provide links if needed).


No comments:

Post a Comment